BOOK A VISIT
ARRANGE A VISIT
BECOME A FRIEND
Events at The Merchant's House
Events form an important part of the fund-raising Appeal to refurbish the historic Merchant’s House. But, in addition to raising much needed income, our events programme also enables us to reach out to the local people of Marlborough and involve them in the project.
Often planned with an appropriate 17th century theme, the events programme, supported by local sponsorship, will typically include a major lecture in the spring and autumn; Marlborough ‘Open Gardens’ in early June; and a summer outdoor event in July. From time to time The 17th Century Re-enactment Society visit for performances, which bring the House alive.
In addition concerts, talks and social events take place in the unique surroundings of The Merchant’s House and other venues, which was the home of Thomas Bayly, silk merchant, and his family 350 years ago. Other historic venues in Marlborough are used for larger events.
Events are run by an enthusiastic group of volunteers and new recruits are always welcomed to join the team – just contact the Trust Administrator.
PAST EVENTS ORGANISED BY THE MERCHANT'S HOUSE
Some of the highlights include:
- Lecture: 'Puritans in Marlborough - Belief & Background' with the Bishop of Ramsbury, the Rt Revd Stephen Conway
- Marlborough Open Gardens. The chance to visit many different gardens and enjoy cream teas in convivial circumstances
- The Summer Valuation Lunch with Eric Knowles, the renowned broadcaster and a patron of the Merchant's House. Held at Marlborough College it was an opportunity to find out more about personal treasures
- The first ever Marlborough Literary Festival. Events took place in the Merchant's House and other venues in the town to great acclaim
- The Autumn Lecture: 'The Second Thirty Years War 1914 - 1945'. A debate on the casuses, courses and consequences for Europe of the two World Wars, by two eminent local historians, followed by open discussion
- Diamond Jubilee lecture with Sir Roy Strong on 20th Century Coronations
- Talks on making 17th century costumes; spices; jewelry & the Millenium Diamond.